Just some quick thoughts about the last performance night & finale:
- ROUND ONE: Tough call…Both Scotty & Lauren picked great choices (Gone and Flat on the Floor), but I think I’ll have to give it to Scotty. Gone really was his BEST performance, imo. That was the one where I really respected Scotty and felt like he was deserving of making it that far/even winning.
- ROUND TWO: Scotty’s song was good…but not outstanding. Love that Carrie got to pick for Lauren…Thought Lauren sounded so pretty singing that song. Will give that round to Lauren.
- ROUND THREE: Umm…really didn’t think Scotty’s song was that great. The song was pretty boring…plus Scotty already doesn’t do as well with ballads than he does upbeat songs. Lauren’s song? Great! So emotional and it was just a better song. Great job Lauren! Round Three to you!
So overall, I really thought Lauren pulled ahead. ESPECIALLY considering her voice wasn’t all there. Couldn’t believe she burst a vocal chord like that! I’m always amazed at how singers can have a “barely there” talking voice, yet still pull out the big notes when they sing! Great job Lauren!
Now the finale. Overall it was an entertaining show:
- To be honest, I really didn’t care about the other contestants and their duets/performances with other musical artists.
- Scotty singing with Tim McGraw…Somehow I felt like that wasn’t the best pairing. Tim’s almost too popish for Scotty’s tastes. Seemed almost like they placed Scotty with Tim ’cause no other more “countryish” guy was able to come on and perform with him. But they sounded totally fine together.
- Lauren performing Before He Cheats with Carrie…AWESOME! I had been calling the duet for weeks! Carrie ALWAYS shows up on Idol at least once each season. This season she still hadn’t made an appearance, and I knew she was attending the finale, so I figured…she’s GOTTA sing with Lauren! How many seasons do we have ONE country singer, let alone TWO! Good thing Lauren already idolized Carrie. Great pairing! They sounded great together! Cute how Carrie really didn’t try to overshadow Lauren…she really gave Lauren every opportunity to shine during their duet. So classy of Carrie. Oh, and BTW…boy did Carrie look TANNED! Especially her legs! Quite dark!
- Lady GaGa’s performance? Although she sounded great AS USUAL, it WAS a bit…RISQUE for the American Idol stage. But…I guess it IS Lady GaGa. Wouldn’t have it any other way…right?
And the winner is:
I kinda pegged Scotty as the winner already from weeks ago…although I do think Lauren pulled up close these last few weeks. I do think the judges really praising/pimping Lauren up a lot on the performance night actually HURT her. You know all of Scotty’s fans (who are probably little teenie bopper girls) JUMPED to the phones when they heard the judges practically saying Lauren may have WON the competition with her peformances (especially her last one). I just KNOW they would vote WAY more rabidly than Lauren’s fans would. Oh well.
Scotty was very worthy of the crown. He stayed humble and seemed genuinely shocked that he won. I wished he would’ve sang more tho after he was crowned instead of hugging EVERY SINGLE PERSON on that stage as well as his family.
This season was pretty…meh. But in the end, the winner was deserving. Add another “youngie” to the list of American Idol winners (altho Jordin Sparks is still the youngest to ever win. She was 16 when she won. Scotty’s 17.).