Been waiting for this show ever since they started showing the promos months ago. I just thought it was going to be such a DIFFERENT kind of show…and boy was I right!
This is actually a very tough show to try to explain, but here goes:
The basic gist is that many of the fairytale characters we know and love (Snow White, Prince Charming, Jiminy Cricket, Geppetto, etc) get a curse put on them by the Evil Queen. They are banished to Storybrooke, Maine, where time stands still and they are no long fairytale characters, but “regular people.” AND they DON’T remember AT ALL that they actually are/used to be fairytale characters.
Emma Swan is a “regular person” who was never a fairytale character who lives in Massachusetts. She actually is the real daughter of Snow White & Prince Charming. She luckily was sent to “the real world” BEFORE the curse was put on Fairytale Land, so she is not cursed like her parents, etc. She doesn’t know she’s Snow White’s daughter until a little boy Henry, who is her biological son, comes into her life and drags her to Storybrooke. He tells her the whole story and says she’s the only one who can save all the fairytale characters from the curse. She sorta gets convinced of the story and decides to hang around Storybrooke for a while to figure things out/see what’s really going on.
The other interesting twist is the the Evil Queen is ALSO living in Storybrooke…and she’s the MAYOR of the town. Go figure huh. Not only that, but she’s the ADOPTED MOTHER of Henry. Crazy huh? She and Emma have a heated argument/discussion in this first episode, so already they’re kinda like “enemies.”
I am LOVING the incorporation of all the fairytale characters. The show goes back and forth between Fairytale Land and Storybrooke, so it’s fun to point out all the fairytale characters in Storybrooke. The ones I’ve spotted in the “real world” so far:
- Snow White
- Prince Charming
- Evil Queen
- Grumpy (the dwarf)…at least I THINK it was him
- Jiminy Cricket (altho he’s a human in Storybrooke )
- Little Red Riding Hood & Granny (they run Granny’s bed & breakfast)
- The Wolf (from Red Riding Hood)…I assume it’s him. How many famous wolves are from any other fairytales?
The show, which was created by the same guys who did LOST, definitely leaves us with a lot of questions. The main questions I have after watching the pilot:
- If the Queen was PUNISHING all the fairytale characters by banishing them to Storybrooke, why did SHE HERSELF go too? So she’s punishing herself as well?
- In Storybrooke DOES the Mayor/Queen know who she really is? Or is she just as “clueless” as everyone else? You figure if this is HER curse, she should be able to have control over it, which would mean she KNOWS what’s going on. At the end of the episode when she grabs the book and looks in the mirror, the expression on her face gives you the impression that she DOES know…but they haven’t confirmed it.
- HOW did she just HAPPEN to adopt Henry? I mean, QUITE a bit of a coincidence that she’d be raising her worst enemy’s (Snow White) grandson…
- HOW does Henry know so much? Can’t be JUST from the fairytale book right? Just because the book contains all the stories, how did Henry know the stories related to Storybrooke and that the characters are actually related to HIM?!
This first episode was quite a lot to take in…and was a bit confusing…but I really like it! It really is SO DIFFERENT from any other show on right now, and the blending of fairytales and real life is pretty awesome stuff. If you can, try to watch this show. May take a few episodes to really get into it, but it’s such a creative backdrop that it’s SO worth giving it a try…
If you can, please comment! Would LOVE to hear what people are thinking about this show…
ONCE UPON A TIME