Although I wasn’t the most excited about the girls having to do Whitney Houston tonight, I gotta say…It was basically LADIES NIGHT! Here are the standouts for me tonight:
ERIKA VAN PELT I Believe In You & Me:
- I just can’t get over how much I LOVE Erika’s tone! It’s just so unique — rich & deep! Seriously. I LOVE IT. And she’s different…not a typical pop sound. And she doesn’t overdo it either. I still think she’s really gonna have to struggle to stay in the competition — already she had to be a wildcard pick, so America hasn’t QUITE noticed her yet — but I’m hoping the more she performs, the more of an impression she makes.
SKYLER LAINE Where Do Broken Hearts Go:
- Last week I really didn’t care for Skylar, even though the judges just gushed about her. But this week? I have to say she made more of an impression on me. She did a great job with Where Do Broken Hearts Go! She didn’t overdo it, and she just sang it really well. Love that she still keeps her country twang in there tho…makes it her own. I don’t necessarily love WATCHING her, but she sounded great. She moved up a bit on my list.
HOLLIE CAVANAGH All The Man That I Need:
- OK. Hollie has now become my new favorite. She’s like a “quiet storm.” I love how she’s so sweet and reserved, yet she’s got this BIG VOICE! She can REALLY belt it. And the way she sings, it’s very classic. Once again, she doesn’t do too much. She sings well and has a quiet confidence. She’s a cute girl too. I really like her. Still a bit confused about her “accent” tho…?
JESSICA SANCHEZ I Will Always Love You:
- Why am I not surprised that Jessica would be the one to tackle Whitney’s biggest song?! I was actually hoping NONE of them would do it, after all it’s SUCH an iconic number…but yet of COURSE Jessica would do it. And I will say she did it justice. While there were definitely parts of it that I didn’t like (she does too much sometimes with the runs, plus some of her changes I wasn’t the biggest fan of), overall she really did sing it well (altho I still like Amber Riley’s version the best ). The one thing I CAN’T STAND? She NEEDS to STOP “PLAYING” her microphone. She is NOT Christina Aguilera. It’s distracting and irritating. That is all.
PHILLIP PHILLIPS Superstition:
- The lone man on my list. I like how Phillip’s version of Superstition was really his own. He TOTALLY reminds me of Dave Matthews! Love the guitar playing. He’s just a “cool cat.” And different. Breath of fresh air in this group. Altho I still can’t get over his name. Great job!