When I first saw the commercial for this show, I was like…Come on…ANOTHER singing show?! But I read good things about it, so I tried checking it out. I have to say, it was pretty interesting. Very different concept compared to other singing competition shows.
The show stars Carson Daly as host…along with 4 celebrity music artist coaches: Adam Levine (Maroon5), Cee-Lo Green, Christina Aguilera & Blake Shelton. Each coach is trying to make a team of 8 contestants that they will mentor/coach to try to become “The Voice.”
So each contestant comes on stage to perform, but the coaches all have their backs turned so they can’t see the contestant. They can only base their “vote” on “the voice.” If a coach likes what they see, they have to push the button on their chair before the contestant stops singing. Their chair will turn to face the contestant, and that indicates that that coach wants to work with them. The contestant is guaranteed to move on. If more than one coach pushes their button, the CONTESTANT gets to decide which of the interested coaches they want to work with. If none of the coaches push their button, the contestant is out of the competition.
I will say that the contestants they have for this show ARE better than a lot of the contestants we’ve seen on American Idol. They seem much more seasoned…not as naive or “newbie.” Here are some of the ones that stood out to me:
JEFF JENKINS Bless the Broken Road:
- Jeff was the first contestant where ALL FOUR coaches wanted to work with him. He may not necessarily LOOK like a star, but he’s got a great personality and his voice is just great. It was cute to see Adam fight for him. Adam is very picky…he doesn’t just go for anyone.
- Umm…Adam Levine has NEVER heard the song Bless the Broken Road before?! He didn’t even know that it was a country song. Are you KIDDING ME?! I thought he was joking at first. How could he NEVER have heard it?! It was played EVERYWHERE! That was really disappointing. Is he that ignorant?!
REBECCA LOEBE Come As You Are:
- Rebecca’s version of this song was awesome. SO DIFFERENT than the original Nirvana version. She made it almost jazzy. Very cool. Nice to hear a female voice on this song too. Just for originality alone she should go thru.
TJE AUSTIN Just The Way You Are:
- This guy wasn’t what I expected. The show really covered up what he looked like until midway thru his performance. When you see his intro piece and the video of his parents, even MORE you did NOT expect Tje to look like that. I really want to hear more about his story (I’m assuming he’s adopted ). He’s a good looking guy with a great voice. Totally don’t blame Christina for being jealous she didn’t show interest in Tje.
JAVIER COLON True Colors:
- Javier was my favorite of the night. His version of True Colors was just awesome. The whole stripped down acoustic version was perfect. He made it his own, showed off his range. His backstory made him even more likable. How he’s doing it for his family. Seems like such a devoted husband and father. His two daughters were adorable. He was a great “catch” for Adam.
I do notice that Blake tends to wait to the bitter end to push his button a lot of the time. One of the contestants actually asked Christina why she “took so long” in pushing her button. To be honest, I would WANT to wait almost to the end…really get a feel for the person singing. They could start off strong, then fade away…so if you push your button too fast, you won’t get the whole feel of that person.
The show is quite entertaining so far. It’s interesting to see the coaches “fight” over the contestans…even bicker a bit. I mean, they each wanna WIN by picking the person who will ultimately be “The Voice.” It’s also a bit exciting to see if/which coaches push their buttons each time. I wasn’t a huge fan of the celebs they got as the coaches, but now having watched them in action, they make a good mix. I wonder why they didn’t make it a even 2 female/2 male for the coaches, but…I guess Christina being the lone lady works.
So far each coach has picked 3 contestants to be on their team, so they still have a ways to go to get their 8. Next week will be a continuation of these blind auditions. Once they get their teams, they will start coaching these contestants. The contestants have to then battle it out within their team to make the Top 4 slots on their team (the other 4 will be eliminated). Then they perform for America and then America votes for who they like.
If you like talent/singing competition shows, this one is worth checking out!