This is it! The final performances & voting night! Top 3!
Uninvited (with Alanis Morissette):
- How COOL was it that Josh got to sing with ALANIS?! That’s AWESOME! Not to mention she looked great and sounded amazing! Josh on the other hand…he didn’t sound the best, if I’m being honest. He sounded off in parts, and the song, to me, didn’t quite match him. But it was definitely a cool moment.
- Great idea to play the guitar! I wouldn’t have pegged him to pick that song to sing. Josh is a great guy…and this means a lot to him to be in the finals. Great job.
Complicated (with Avril Lavigne):
- Interesting song choice for Chris. But I liked that they didn’t pick a rapper. It’s funny tho…Chris really isn’t a great singer (and this performance proved that point once again), but the same can be said about Avril. They both didn’t sound the best, but the performance was cool.
- Wow. I gotta say…Chris Rene, you are SOMETHING ELSE. Now THAT was a GREAT performance. It was SO personal and SO moving. I have to admit that I teared up watching him perform. This performance totally epitomizes who Chris is, and why America has rooted for and supported him all the way to the finale. Yay Chris! You totally deserve being in the Top 3!
I Believe I Can Fly (with R. Kelly):
- This was a very fitting song for Melanie. I do think her confidence level was lower at the beginning of this, but as the weeks went by, she became more confident and really did BELIEVE she could prevail. And to be able to sing it with R. Kelly…Wow. This song was SUCH a popular/famous one at one point, and for R. Kelly to sing it as a duet with her for the first time. What a moment. I understand what the judges were saying about wanting more…but I agree with Simon. Melanie was being very respectful to the original artist. And I do think the key wasn’t the right one for her, but she was matching R. Kelly’s key. Great job. Very moving.
- Talk about full circle. This song was the FIRST one we heard Melanie sing in her audition. And I still remember that moment…and she was the FIRST contestant where I thought OK, THIS GIRL IS GOOD. So she’s made an impression on me since the beginning. And here she is in the finale! Her performance tonight was even BETTER than the first time, imo. She sings with such gusto and you can tell that she means EVERY WORD that she sings. AMAZING! What else can I say? PERFECTION.