“My Idol” night tonight…Overall a very good night!
- Not the most EXCITING song to start off the night, but Colton did a great job with that song. I realized tonight that I really LOVE the SOUND of Colton’s voice. It’s actually really pleasant to listen to, and he really can hit those notes! The fact that the song was so touching to him spiritually was something. I’m still a bit weary about the whole God/religious stuff, ’cause I think too much can definitely hurt a contestant’s chances, but for Colton himself, you can tell how much it means to him. Good for him.
SKYLAR Gunpowder & Lead:
- Miranda Lambert being Skylar’s idol is about right. The way Skylar performs/type of country music she does matches Miranda very well. Skylar is very good at stuff like this. Very fitting.
HEEJUN Song For You:
- Nice to see Heejun do a SERIOUS performance. It was a total 180 from last week. He sounded really good, but I’m still not wowed. But definitely better than last week.
HOLLIE Jesus Take The Wheel:
- Just the fact that Hollie picked a Carrie song made me like her more. Wouldn’t have guessed she would pick Carrie. But if anyone was going to do a Carrie song, I would’ve wanted it to be Hollie. She did a respectable job, altho she still seemed a bit nervous at times. Overall it was good.
DEANDRE Sometimes I Cry:
- Now that was TOO MUCH falsetto for me. WAY too much. I KNOW this is what he does, and why he was picked to be on this show, but…That was just too much. I can’t listen to it. The judges loved it of course, but just NOT MY CUP OF TEA. At all.
JESSICA Sweet Dreams:
- OK, for me this performance was WAY too dramatic. The fact that she slowed the song down, for me, was just a way to be more SHOWY. I didn’t love it, and every time Jessica does all this showy stuff, I’m just like…Eh. Too much. Interesting choice too…of all of Beyonce’s hits. I was one of her singles, but not one of her standouts. But as usual, she sounded good still.
PHILLIP Still Rainin:
- One word for Phillip — AUTHENTIC. That’s the best way to describe him. He’s the real deal. And the fact that he picked a pretty obscure song/artist (Jonny Lang) just added to that. He really gives it HIS ALL in every performance, and he’s so consistent. And I gotta say, somehow this week he seemed a bit more dressed up. Don’t know why, but he did. He’s great. Not to mention the comment that Stevie Nicks gave him…about how if he was around at that time, they would’ve wanted him in Fleetwood Mac? Awesome.
JOSHUA Without You:
- Joshua’s definitely got some voice. To pull off Mariah was very risky, but he did a great job. I just feel like every song he’s so gospel-y tho. And that’s just not my thing. But he did a good job.
ELISE Whole Lotta Love:
- Guess I shouldn’t be surprised that they saved Elise for the pimp spot this week. She took on Led Zepplin, which was pretty gutsy…but for me, it was good, but it still wasn’t Adam Lambert good. She sounded great, but she didn’t have that same oomph that Adam did. But I guess you could say their performances had different vibes. Adam’s was definitely more hard rock, whereas Elise’s had more soul. It’s hard for me to really praise Elise because she’s already turned me off…and I don’t think anything she does will win me over. It was a good performance, and worthy of the last spot tonight (I guess ).